Wednesday, October 3, 2018

166 miles today, Buffalo WY to Spearfish SD.  Upon arrival we spent several hours at the High Plains Western Heritage Center.  We've been there before but it's an exceptionally interesting place and we were anxious to revisit.  The very modern facility is situated on a hill and offers fabulous views of the surrounding plains through its huge picture windows.
The drive over here from Buffalo was memorable for three main reasons:  
(1)  Illuminated sign warnings on I-90 alerted drivers to winds exceeding 40 mph.  The constant and often severe buffeting reminded me of flying in a small airplane.
(2)  The entertainment along the way could not have been more perfect.  It was a complete live Bruce Springsteen concert, one he gave in New Orleans, and he did many of our favorite songs that meshed perfectly with the dramatic scenery we were buffeting past.  It was on Sirius Radio, so no commercial interruptions.
(3)  Most exciting for me was our sighting of Devils Tower, from mile post 165 on I-90.  56 years ago John McIntyre and I drove from Syracuse NY to Washington State and I've always remembered that we spotted Devils Tower in the distance but didn't have time to get any closer.  Over the years I've been led to believe that it would not be possible to see Devils Tower from I-90 because it's 20 miles away!  I began to think we must have seen something other than the Tower back in 1962 as John and I cruised along.  But today, on a stretch of the Interstate we hadn't previously driven, Alice suddenly yelled out,  OH MY GOD!  THERE IT IS!!  CLEAR AS A BELL 20 MILES TO THE NORTH!  UNBELIEVABLE!
I DOVE ONTO THE ROAD SHOULDER AND BACKED INTO A PARKING AREA FOR SOME PICS.  I WAS VERY EXCITED TO CONFIRM THAT YOU ACTUALLY COULD SEE THE TOWER FROM I-90.  I'D CALL JOHN TO TELL HIM ABOUT THIS BUT MY GOOD FRIEND AND FRAT BRO DIED ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO.  VERY SAD.  I HAD BEEN HIS BEST MAN.
WE DON'T LAST VERY LONG BUT DEVILS TOWER WILL LIKELY BE THERE FOR MANY MANY MORE MILLION YEARS.
Take care all.

2 comments:

  1. That’s very neat about the tower. It really stands out there on its own.

    Here in Michigan we’re getting winds almost 70 MPH!!! Lake Superior is expected to have 18 foot high waves. ๐ŸŒŠ๐ŸŒŠ๐ŸŒŠ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jeanie, those are the kind of waves that sunk the Edmund Fitzgerald!
    70 mph winds as well! Dangerous conditions!

    ReplyDelete